Go Back City Clerk

City Clerk


The NH Department of Safety, Division of Motor Vehicles is pleased to announce that a new computer system (VISION) will be implemented in the month of February.  As a result, there will be an interruption of motor vehicle registration processing statewide. Town/City Clerk’s offices, along with the DMV offices, will be unable to process new or renewal registrations over the President’s Day holiday weekend, beginning Friday, February 17, 2017, and will be resuming transactions on Wednesday, February 22, 2017.  Throughout this process, the Town/City Clerk’s office may be open for other transactions not related to vehicle registrations during their normal, scheduled hours of operation. Please check with your local municipality for their specific hours during this time.

If you have a new registration, a temporary plate or your registration renewal is due during the month of February, please make sure you are aware of the processing interruption.
Please feel free to visit the DMV website at www.nh.gov/dmv for updates concerning this implementation.


Motor Vehicles

The office of the City Clerk is able to register motor vehicles including trailers and campers. Plates can be transferred and issued in this office.

Driver's licensing can be done Monday through Friday at the Newport DMV at the State of New Hampshire office on 20 N. Main St. You will need to produce the following documents to secure your driver’s license:

  • An original or certified copy of your birth certificate or passport – these documents must be in your current name; if not, then the legal document indicating your name change must be presented; and
  • A current valid out-of-state drivers license; and
  • Proof of residency.

The City of Claremont CAN issue regular NH license plates, Moose plates, vanity plates/initial plates , motorcycle plates, trailer plates, vanity antique plates, vanity motorcycle plates, vanity trailer plates, vanity Moose plates, Agricultural, Farm and Tractor plates.

The City CANNOT issue regular antique plates, veteran plates of any kind, commercial plates, Pearl Harbor plates, Purple Heart plates, moped plates, dirt bike plates, Handicap plates, apportioned plates, or State Park Plates. These plates can be obtained through the State of New Hampshire DMV Offices. Please call the State DMV at 603-227-4030 for questions regarding these types of plates.

New Resident Requirements:

New New Hampshire residents must obtain a New Hampshire Drivers License and Automobile Registration within 60 days (RSA 261:45 & 263:35).

Useful Links

Address: 58 Opera House Square, Claremont, N.H. 03743-2677
Phone: 603-542-7003
Fax: 603-542-7014
Email: cityclerk@claremontnh.com
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 am-12:30 pm & 1:30 pm-5:00 pm